Pets are wonderful creatures – they’re always there for us, comforting us when we’re sad, making us laugh with their animal antics and even keeping us warm in the winter.
Us Britons love our furry friends and treat them like one of the family.
You might think that your pet is quite a simple creature, but we’ve found some interesting facts that could surprise you.
- Dog nose prints are as unique as human finger prints and they can even be used to identify them.
- Dogs have more than 220 million cells to detect smells (humans have 5 million) and some have been trained to detect lung cancer in humans by smelling their breath.
- Cats sleep for around 65% of each day; they also spend about 1/3 of the time they are awake cleaning themselves.
- Cats can’t climb head first down a tree because each claw on their paw points the same way; to get down they must go backwards.
- Parrots are the only birds that are able to pick up food with their feet and eat it.
- Hamsters are very energetic and can travel up to 10 km in one night on their exercise wheel – this is why they’re so difficult to find if they escape.
- Rabbits can jump more than 3 feet in the air.
- Goldfish don’t have stomachs, which is why they need to be fed little and often.
- Before a tortoise hibernates, it starves itself so that its stomach is empty.
- When guinea pigs are stretched out, it means that they are relaxed.
Is your pet the cutest bundle of fluff? Or do you have a more unusual creature? We want to know so tweet us a photo of your purrfect pet.
And why not show your pet how much they mean to you this National Pet Day and spoil them with a new toy, or even something fun to wear?
Right now you can get quadruple epoints on some of our top pet brands.